- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups shredded white cheddar
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 14 Ritz crackers
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray large baking dish with nonstick baking spray. Add broccoli and cauliflower and bake 15 or until very lightly browned.
In large skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add onion and cook for one minute. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Whisk in flour and cook for 90 seconds whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth alternating between the two. Turn heat to low and add cheddar whisking frequently until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth and creamy. Whisk in nutmeg and salt & pepper to taste. Pour over roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
In food processor crush crackers. Add oregano and onion powder and pulse a couple of times. Sprinkle over cheese sauce.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown.