- 2 cups finely shredded carrots (4 medium)
- 1 cup finely chopped, peeled pear (1 medium)
- 1 15 – ounce can crushed pineapple (juice pack), undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1 3/4 – ounce package regular powdered fruit pectin (not instant)
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut or raisins (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
In a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot, combine carrots, pears, pineapple with the juice, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Sprinkle mixture with pectin; stir until pectin dissolves.
Bring carrot mixture to boiling, stirring constantly. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar. Return to a full rolling boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon. Stir in coconut or raisins (if desired) and vanilla.
Ladle hot jam into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids.
Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.