- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 4 large yellow onions sliced in half and cut from pole to pole in no greater than 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup wine dry white wine like sauvignon blanc
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cup shredded swiss or Gruyere cheese
- Crostinis or large croutons
- Salt & Pepper
Melt butter in large saucepan. Cook onions on medium low heat until golden brown. This will take between 30-60 minutes depending upon the amount of heat and how golden brown you like your onions.
Add the garlic and parsley. Cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and using a spoon or spatula try to remove as much of the brown glazing from the bottom of the pan as possible. Allow the wine to simmer with the onions for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and beef broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the soup to the bowls or cups. Top with crostini and grated cheese. Slip under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.