« These are the easiest and funnest gifts for anytime of season! And they are delicious to eat too! »
- 5 large Granny Smith apples
- wooden craft sticks
- 1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 7 ounces chocolate candy bar, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 1 cup colored candy coating melts
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Dip apples into boiling water briefly, using a slotted spoon, to remove any wax that may be present. Wipe dry, and set aside to cool. Insert sticks into the apples through the cores.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and coat with cooking spray. Place the unwrapped caramels into a microwave-safe medium bowl along with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook on high for 2 minutes, then stir and continue cooking and stirring at 1 minute intervals until caramel is melted and smooth.
- Hold apples by the stick, and dip into the caramel to coat. Set on waxed paper; refrigerate for about 15 minutes to set.
- Heat the chocolate with 1 tablespoon of shortening in a microwave-safe bowl until melted and smooth. Dip apples into the chocolate to cover the layer of caramel. Return to the waxed paper to set.
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave with the remaining shortening, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Use a fork or wooden stick to flick colored designs onto your apples for a finishing touch. Refrigerate until set, overnight is even better.
Source : allrecipes.com