« Since the weather is warming up two things come to mind: what am I going to make with all those sweet berries and how can I avoid turning on my oven? This dessert is so fast and easy and looks cooked because we brulee sugar on top of the mascarpone. I’m not a big dessert person but this is my idea of the perfect finish to that early summer dinner. »
- 1 pint whole strawberries, stems removed
- 1/2 pint fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 3 drops vanilla extract, or to taste (optional)
- 2 shortcakes, halved horizontally
- 4 teaspoons white sugar, or as needed
Prep : 15 m Ready In : 2 h 15 m
- Mix strawberries, blackberries, 1/3 cup sugar, and orange juice together in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate, 2 hours to overnight.
- Stir mascarpone cheese, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and vanilla extract together in a bowl.
- Spread mascarpone mixture over the top of each shortcake half; sprinkle about 1 teaspoon sugar over the top to cover. Caramelize the sugar using a kitchen torch, 20 to 30 seconds per shortcake. Place each shortcake in a shallow bowl and surround with berries and accumulated juices.
Source : allrecipes.com