For the Cake
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups self rising flour
- 3/4 lb butter, softened (3/4 LB of butter equals 3 sticks)
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup carbonated orange soda beverage, any brand
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 drops Orange Food Coloring (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
For the Glaze
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup Orange soda
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
NOTE: you need to use a LARGE bundt pan or a tube pan for this recipe. Do NOT fill more than more than two-thirds full because it does rise more than a regular cake due to the soda added. You will have extra batter, so I usually use it to bake cupcakes.
- Mix butter and sugar together for about 10 minutes.
- Add in your eggs-1 at a time, beating after each is added in.
- Add in flour, salt, zest & food coloring.
- Fold in your orange soda of choice.
- Pour into well-greased 12-cup Bundt pan or large 12 cup or more tube pan
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 to 1 hour & 15 min or until fully set
- Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool, then drizzle your glaze on top
To get the DEEP orange color that dips into the center, you see on my cake, I used a separate bowl (once all batter was ready to be poured into the pan) removed about one cup of the batter, placed it in the bowl and added an extra drop of orange food coloring and a little pinch more orange zest, I then poured this FIRST, into my pan, before added the rest of the batter. (this is optional) Glaze Instructions
- Combine all the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until the glaze is pretty thick
- thick, adding more or less liquid/powdered sugar so you can get the correct consistency
- Drizzle glaze all over the cake
Source : allrecipes.com