- 4 chicken quarters
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high to high heat. Stir in butter and olive oil.
- Salt and pepper chicken to taste. Add chicken to Dutch oven. Brown chicken pieces for 2 minutes on each side until crisp and golden brown. Remove quarters to a plate. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add shallots and garlic to pot. Deglaze with stock, scraping down all the sides to get all of the flavors into the broth. Add soy sauce, brown sugar and ginger. Simmer sauce for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces back. Cover with lid. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until chicken is cooked through. Serve with sautéed broccolini and Thai Jasmine rice made with coconut milk instead of water.